Science minister welcomes HIT forum on space economy
简介Science and ICT Minister Lee Jong-ho on Wednesday made congratulatory remarks for The Korea Herald’s ...
Science and ICT Minister Lee Jong-ho on Wednesday made congratulatory remarks for The Korea Herald’s Humanity in Tech Forum, vowing to take the lead in ushering in Korea’s new space economy.
“I give my sincere congratulations for The Korea Herald’s HIT Forum that discusses ‘space’ as its first topic for sharing vision on science and technology innovation,” said Lee in a pre-recorded video played during the forum held at the Shilla Seoul.
“It is a timely discussion following the people’s high expectations for Korea’s space industry, following the successful launch of homegrown Nuri rocket and the nation’s first lunar mission Danuri.”
Lee added the event is more meaningful because Oct. 11 happens to be the anniversary of when the first crewed flight Apollo 7 launched to space in 1968 and made live TV transmissions for the first time.
Despite the 30-year-long endeavor, a relatively short period of time to have embarked on a space development project, South Korea became the seventh country in the world to have developed and launched a satellite weighing 1 ton or more.
Lee stressed that the government is making efforts to further expand Korea's global presence in the space economy race. In May, the space agency signed a pact with the US’ NASA to bolster ties of the two countries’ cooperation in outer space. This comes after the November 2022 announcement of the future space economy road map, a blueprint for the nation’s space policy.
Under the space road map, the Science Ministry is pushing forward to set up a new space body called the Korea Aerospace Administration. Based on the partnership with the private sector, the agency is expected to become a control tower for the country’s aerospace sector.
Pledging to secure more advanced space development capability, Lee said, “We plan to develop a next generation projectile, following Nuri rocket, land on the moon and Mars by 2032 and 2045, respectively. By 2035, Korea will set up the large-scale satellite navigation system called the Korean Positioning System.”
By Yoo Chang-joProfessor of marketing at Dongguk UniversityThe rapidly evolving landscape of technol ...
The Seoul Metropolitan Government announced Tuesday that it will distribute a portable SOS emergency ...
A Korea-Georgia free trade agreement would bring substantial benefits for Korea and Georgia, Genadi ...
National Orchestra of Korea's 'Winter Concert' to bring harmony of tradition, musicals
[Korean History] In 2004, serial murderer with goal to kill 100 was stopped at 20
LX International to acquire 60% stake in Indonesian nickel mine
홍준표 "뜬금없이 김포 편입론, 반짝 특수 노리는 떴다방"
Seoul shares open higher on Fed's rate pause hopes
[Our Museums] Explore plaintive and joyful melodies of Korea at Arirang Museum
- 보란듯 제재 무시하며 국제법 준수?…김정은 활용하는 푸틴의 속내는
- Questions remain after passage of anonymous birth bill
- [Herald Interview] Forever is not impossible: Oneus aspires to global reach with 'La Dolce Vita'
- 尹 “국민, 안보 믿음 가졌을 것”…4000명 장병 동원 행진 주관
- 외교부, 이스라엘 전역 여행경보 ‘특별여행주의보’ 발령
- S. Korea defeat Japan for 3rd straight men's football gold
- Foreigners ditch sluggish Korean stocks
- 홍익표, 체포안 가결파 징계에 “총선 승리 도움 기준으로 판단”
- Chief justice seat at top court left vacant amid Assembly chaos
- 120,000 more public homes to be supplied by this year
- Daewoong's Nabota tops botulinum toxin exports
- After robot conductor, National Orchestra of Korea explores virtual reality
- Music director, composer Jung Jae
- S. Korea, US defense chiefs discuss 'tailored deterrence strategy' on N. Korea
- 文정부는 꺼려한 유엔사…참모부 '주도적 역할' 참여 추진
- LG Twins capture 1st Korean Series title in 29 years
- 감사원, 文정부 소상공인 지원 실태 감사 착수
- Seoul shares down amid possible US government shutdown woes
- Seoul Metropolitan Traditional Orchestra meets electronic beats
- Seoul mayor to consider street festivities for LG Twins' victory
- SK hynix starts supply of world’s fastest mobile DRAM for China's Vivo
- [Today’s K
- Ruling party urges Yoon to veto opposition
- SK On to furlough workers, cut production at US plant
- 46 countries, including S. Korea, US, join declaration on 'responsible' AI use
- Nara Space successfully launches cube satellite
- 9·19 합의 취약점 '대북 감시' 공백, 미국 위성으로 메운다
- KBS determined to regain public trust
- Rising star pianists of three Asian countries join force for peace concert
- Fifty Fifty’s Keena to attend 2023 BBMAs